Brain Shield 60 caps by Life Extension
Your brain is under constant onslaught from environmental and stress-related challenges, as well as normal aging processes.1,2 Fortunately, our brain cells have built-in, self-healing systems that provide natural defenses against these ongoing threats.3 Even more remarkable, molecular science is revealing that the human brain has the capacity to preserve the neurons involved in brain remodeling (plasticity).3
Scientists in China and Singapore have found that gastrodin, a compound typically derived from a traditional Chinese orchid (Gastrodia elata), provides powerful support for the brain's normal defenses and regenerative mechanisms.4-7 To make these benefits available to members, Life Extension® introduces Brain Shield®, providing 300 mg of gastrodin in each capsule for maximum brain support.
Recent studies confirm that the gastrodin in Brain Shield® is one of the most powerful compounds for supporting healthy brain function at any age. Gastrodin works by the following mechanisms:
- To retain normal function, the aging brain relies on adequate blood flow to get sufficient oxygen and fuel.8 It has been repeatedly shown that formulas containing gastrodin beneficially support normal, healthy levels of brain blood flow in both animals and in humans.6,7
- The body maintains a delicate balance of neurotransmitters, such as GABA, which is of tremendous importance to healthy brain function. Studies show that alone or in combination the active compounds in gastrodia help maintain healthy levels of vital neurotransmitters in those whose levels are already within the normal range.9-11
- With aging, short-term memory function is often impaired. Studies show that gastrodin and other active constituents help support the healthy body's normal defenses against the mild memory problems associated with aging.12
- Scientists have shown that the breakdown metabolites of gastrodin help provide support against the normal stress and tension of daily life.13,14
- And Brain Shield® helps alleviate the occasional cranial pain associated with daily life.15
Those seeking maximum benefit should start with one 300 mg capsule of Brain Shield® taken twice daily.16 After thirty days, one Brain Shield® Gastrodin capsule daily may be sufficient based upon the experience of gastrodin as an over-the-counter (OTC) pharmaceutical agent. Those taking Cognitex® are obtaining 50 mg of gastrodin in the daily dose along with complimentary nutrients. As additional research continues on gastrodin, better clarification on optimal dosing for a wide range of neurovascular and neuroinflammatory conditions should be available.
Brain Shield® Gastrodin
60 vegetarian capsules
Item Catalog Number: 01802
Take one (1) softgel once or twice daily with or without food, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
|Serving Size: 1 Vegetarian Capsule|
|Amount Per Serving||%Daily Value|
|Calcium (as dicalcium phosphate)||20 mg||2%|
|Brain Shield Gastrodin||300 mg||**|
|**Daily Value not established.|
Soy lecithin, gelatin, sunflower oil, safflower oil, glycerin, soy fatty acids, purified water, dl-alpha-tocopherol.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Do not exceed recommended dose.
- Do not purchase if outer seal is broken or damaged.
- When using nutritional supplements, please consult with your physician if you are undergoing treatment for a medical condition or if you are pregnant or lactating.
1. Available at: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/ neurotoxicity/neurotoxicity.htm. Accessed August 16, 2013.
2. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009 May;1792(5):432-43.
3. Dialogues Clin Neurosci. 2013 Mar;15(1):67-76.
4. Neurochem Int. 2012 Jun;60(8):827-36.
5. Int J Biochem Mol Biol. 2012;3(2):219-41.
6. J Pharm Pharmacol. 1997 Nov;49(11):1162-4.
7. J Tradit Chin Med. 1997 Dec;17(4):299-303
8. Neurobiol Aging. 2012 May;33(5):1004.e1-16.
9. Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi. 2004 Nov; 9(11): 1061-5.
10. Brain Res. 2007 Nov 21;1181:130-41.
11. J Neurosci Res. 2003 Feb 15;71(4):534-43.
12. J Ethnopharmacol. 1997 Mar;56(1):45-54.
13. Biol Pharm Bull. 2006 Feb;29(2):261-5.
14. China Prac Med. 2010 Aug;5(23):160-1.
15. Yao Xue Xue Bao. 2011 Dec;46(12):1451-6.
16. J Tianjin Pharmacy. 2005-06.
Life Extension Foundation has one mission, and one mission only: to help you live a healthier, longer life.
In fact, we're at the forefront of medical research, constantly looking for ways to prolong youth, health, and life. And we've been at it for more than 34 years, investing more than $140 million to find therapies and technologies that could lead to lifesaving cures for the diseases of aging.
Did you know that we were the first to recommend low-dose aspirin therapy to protect against heart attack … CoQ10 for heart health … and the Omega-3s in fish oil to promote heart health?
Over 350 premium-quality formulations that are the gold standard of the industry. All are clinically validated and tested.
What is the Life Extension Foundation?
The Life Extension Foundation is one of the largest organizations dedicated to investigating every method of extending the healthy human life span. When seeking anti-aging therapies, health and nutrition, The Foundation has reported discoveries in the areas of atherosclerosis and stroke prevention, diabetes, prostate health, hormone replacement therapy, and other health concerns. The Life Extension Foundation is a nonprofit, tax-exempt organization whose goal is to conquer the aging process within the next decade.
How old is the Life Extension Foundation?
The Life Extension Foundation was officially incorporated in 1980, but its founder has been involved in anti-aging research since the 1960s.
What scientific breakthroughs has the Life Extension Foundation made?
Research supported by The Life Extension Foundation has documented the value of antioxidants in extending life span and in protecting cells against ischemia (lack of blood flow). Ischemia is the leading cause of disability and death. Ischemia can be caused by the blockage of a coronary artery, which can lead to a heart attack, or a cerebral artery, which can lead to a stroke. Accident victims often die from ischemia. The Foundation supports a full time research facility that has broken all world records in protecting against ischemia-induced free radical damage. View the Foundation's scientific achievements in health and longevity.
What is the Foundation's track record in recommending Life Extension Therapies?
The Life Extension Foundation was the first organization to defy the FDA by promoting the use of antioxidant vitamins to maintain health. The Foundation was the first organization to promote the use of low dose aspirin to maintain cardiovascular health. The Foundation was the first organization to recommend against the use of iron in dietary supplements because of evidence that iron causes massive free radical damage contributing to the development of cancer, atherosclerosis and a host of other diseases. The Foundation was the first organization to inform Americans about the "miracle nutrient" coenzyme Q10, about the anti-cancer carotenoids lycopene, lutein, and xanthophyl, and about the most effective anti-aging therapy in the world, Melatonin. And the Foundation was the first organization to introduce Americans to European "smart drugs" like piracetam, centrophenoxine, and DHEA. View the Foundation's scientific achievements in health and longevity.